Our experienced staff at CLP – Main is happy to work with you to customize a visit that is meaningful for your group. We can provide:
- A tour of the building, highlighting departments of interest
- An overview of print and/or electronic resources in a particular subject area
- Catalog and database training
- Reference support to students or adult learners working on independent projects
- Advance Library Card Registration
- Storytimes, booktalks and programs for younger children (Pre-K through Grade 5)
- Educational and recreational activities, such as gaming and scavenger hunts (dependent on staff availability), for middle school and high school students
Schedule Your Tour at CLP – Main (Oakland)Sign Up
You will receive confirmation from library staff 3 – 5 days after you schedule your group visit. If you do not receive this confirmation, please call 412.622.3121 to confirm that your group visit has been scheduled.
Details for Scheduling
- Group visits must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. If you are registering your group for library cards, we require at least three weeks. We can only accommodate one scheduled group visit per day. Unannounced group visits cannot be served.
- We can accommodate up to 60 students or group members per group visit for grade 6 and up, and up to 50 students for preschool through fifth grade. For student groups (grade 6 and up), we require at least one chaperone to be present for each 15 students. For preschool through fifth grade, one chaperone must be present for every 10 students.
- If you need to cancel the group visit please notify the Library at least 24 hours in advance by calling 412.622.3121.
All students and group members will need a valid library card from an Allegheny County Library to check out materials. Click here for information about Library Cards.
If you would like to provide Library Card applications to your students or group, you can download and print the application.
Minors under the age of 18 must have a parental signature on the application. This serves as notification to the parent/guardian(s) as to their legal and financial responsibilities. As the teacher or liaison, you are responsible for communicating these responsibilities to your students’ parents for signature and proper ID. The number from any parent’s or guardian’s acceptable form of photo ID can be written into the appropriate space on the application.
Mail the completed, signed applications to the address below. In order to have your group’s library cards ready for your visit, we must receive all completed library card applications 10 days prior to your group visit. Please allow the Post Office 3 – 5 business days for delivery.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Main, Teen
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15213
Please ensure that students who already have library cards bring them for your group visit. For our customers’ privacy and protection, new cards will not be issued to students with existing accounts, nor will account information be given out. Students may not share library cards to use computers or check out materials.
Once you have submitted your group visit request, please email a student/group roster to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will allow us to check our database and inform you and your group of any issues prior to the visit. We request first and last names, birthdate and address be included on the student/group roster.
Our neighbor, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, houses the Fossil Fuels Cafe, which is located on the Museum’s lower level and offers a variety of tasty sandwiches, baked goods, fruit, drinks, gourmet coffee and more. Fossil Fuels is open Monday through Saturday, 10 am – 4 pm, and Sunday from 12 – 4 pm.
Additionally, the Crazy Mocha Coffee Company operates a coffee bar on the first floor of CLP – Main that serves sandwiches, desserts and other treats.
The Library and Museums operate a six-level parking facility for cars and small vans. The lot is located directly behind the Museum and can be accessed from the intersection of Forbes Avenue and South Craig Street.
Buses can park on Schenley Drive, in the bus lanes next to Phipps Conservatory.