Summer is almost here! At Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh this means reading for fun, contributing to our city-wide Summer Reading goal of 180,000 books, programs for youth of all ages and summer meals.
Last May, Jessica from Squirrel Hill wrote a Story Pockets blog post about the importance of participating in the Library’s Summer Reading program, as it “can help kids and teens retain the literacy skills they have gained during the school year. Studies have shown that when kids and teens read during the summer, they are more likely to succeed when the new school year begins. Summer slide, or summer learning loss, can be challenged by reading books and engaging in out-of-school learning opportunities.”
This summer the Library will add meals to its list of offerings meant to offset the summer slide. Ensuring Pittsburgh youth have access to free food during summer vacation is incredibly important because good nutrition is essential for learning. Youth who miss breakfast and lunch score lower on achievement tests and don’t return to school ready to learn.
Stop by the Library every weekday for hands-on activities, crafts, games and meals with friends! Summer Meals will begin on Tuesday, June 13th and run Monday-Friday for ten weeks at the following CLP locations:
- CLP – Allegheny*: lunch (12-1pm)
- CLP – Beechview: lunch (12:30-1:30pm)
- CLP – Brookline: afternoon snack (3-4pm)
- CLP – East Liberty: lunch (12-1pm) and afternoon snack (3-3:30pm)
- CLP – Hazelwood: afternoon snack (3:45-4pm)
- CLP – Homewood: afternoon snack (2:30-3pm)
- CLP – Knoxville: lunch (11am-12pm) and afternoon snack (3-4pm)
- CLP – Lawrenceville: lunch (12-1pm)
- CLP – Main, Teen: afternoon snack (2-3pm)
- CLP – Mt. Washington: afternoon snack (3-4pm)
- CLP – Sheraden: breakfast (10-11am) and afternoon snack (3-4pm)
- CLP – South Side: morning snack (10:30-11:30am)
- CLP – West End: lunch (11:30am-1pm)
- CLP – Woods Run: lunch (11:30am-1pm) and afternoon snack (3-4pm)
Summer Meals will begin on Tuesday, June 13th and run Tuesday-Thursday for ten weeks at the following CLP location:
- CLP – Downtown & Business: afternoon snack (3-4pm)
Summer Meals will begin on Tuesday, June 13th and run Monday-Thursday for ten weeks at the following CLP location:
- CLP – Hill District: afternoon snack (3-4pm)
Meals and activities will be provided during the above times each day while supplies last and are for youth ages 18 and younger, and for persons with disabilities up to age 21. The last day for meals will be Friday, August 18th.
Meals are being offered locally in collaboration with Pittsburgh CitiParks and the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank as part of the federally funded Summer Food Service Program. You can find other summer meals in your community by searching https://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks
*Lunches at CLP – Allegheny are being offered through FOCUS North America.