North Side: Fineview
"Fineview was known as Mount Alverino when Flemish nuns of the Order of St. Clare founded a 'boarding school for young ladies of all religions' in 1828. The Academy closed in 1835. The Mount, by then known as Nunnery Hill, was purchased by James Andrews, a bridge builder, who built a house on the spot. As Allegheny grew, Fineview became the site of elegant villas and cottages away from the riverside factories." (38)
The hilliness of Pittsburgh comes across in photos of Fineview showing the steps that are such a common and prominent feature of the city's landscape, a row of homes atop a hill and a street scene captured in 1950.