small text medium text large text

Oakland: Mellon Institute

Photo_of_Mellon_Institute.


CAPTION: Classic Grecian Beauty:
The front of Mellon Institute's new building at Pittsburgh,
which is to be dedicated May 6 [,1937] in honor of the founders,
Andrew W. and Richard B. Mellon, reveals in this photograph
the simple lines of the structure, surrounded by its 
four-sided row of 62 Ionic columns. It fails to reveal the
depth of breadth of the structure, however. To erect a 
building which would seem low in height, three floors were
built into rock below the street level, natural light being
provided by interior courts. The entrance to the edifice,
from the gradually-ascending steps shown, is at the fourth
story. 337138 For Immediate Release.
NOTES: Now (1995) part of Carnegie Mellon University.
Home of the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
PHOTOGRAPHER: Altwater & Bro., Pittsburgh,
Photographs, Murals, Gravure Prints. 
DATE: [1937]. 
HEADING:
#: P8913. 
From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department,
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.

Images 1. Narrative. Outline. Neighborhoods. Main Menu.