The Strip District: Peoples Baths: Exterior
CAPTION: Peoples Baths--first public bath house in city; erected at 16th Street and Penn Avenue in 1897 by Mrs. William Thaw, Jr. in memory of her husband. Abandoned in 1908-1909 and replaced by larger facilities. Copied from The Pittsburgh Bulletin, 20 February 1904. NOTES: The hours of the baths appear on the windows in four languages. Note "Womens Day." An interior view of the Baths gives a glimpse of some of its patrons. PHOTOGRAPHER: DATE: 1904. HEADING: Pittsburgh. Social Settlements. #: A569. From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department, The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.