The Strip District: Rodman Gun
CAPTION: "The famous Rodman Gun was one of many
produced during the Civil War by the C. Knapp Foundry,
later the Fort Pitt Foundry (now Mackintosh-Hemphill).
Named for Lieut. Thomas J. Rodman, commander of the
Allegheny Arsenal, it was the largest in the world at
the time (80 tons). The man at right in this rare
photograph was the foundry superintendent, Joseph
Kaye (grandfather of Mrs. Lewis W. McIntyre). Also
turned out by the foundry was the Union Gun, designed
to project an iron ball six to seven miles. Other
Pittsburgh factories supplied the Union with
warships, armor plate, shot, shell, saddles, harness,
wagons, gun carriages, caissons, clothing and a variety
of other war materials." (Courtesy of Lewis W. McIntyre)
NOTES: "Captain Thomas Jackson Rodman...
served as commander [of the Allegheny Arsenal]
from 1857 until 1859.
Rodman achieved fame during the
Civil War for his designing of a large cannon, which
is believed to have deterred France and England from
entering the war on the side of the Confederacy."(9)
PHOTOGRAPHER: [B. L. H.] Dabbs.
HEADING: Pittsburgh. Wars. Civil.
From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department,
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.