The Strip District: Canal Viaduct
CAPTION: Site of Union Station in 1850. Canal and footbridge at Liberty and Washington Streets. Faber's Foundry in left center and St. Patrick's Church at footbridge. NOTES: "Canal boats from the east arrived at Allegheny City first. Then they crossed the river by aqueduct to a basin at the present site (as seen in 1850) of Pennsylvania Station. For a time, it continued to the Monongahela River (Liberty Bridge), partly through a short-lived tunnel under Grant's Hill (Tunnel Street)." (Fleming's Views of Old Pittsburgh, 1932). PHOTOGRAPHER: DATE: HEADING: #: A21. From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department, The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.