An Adventure in Pittsburghese
A Reading List
Abel, Ken, and Jackie Abel.
- The Tongue-in-Cheek Guide to Pittsburgh.
- Carnegie, PA: ABELexpress, 1992.
- "Pittsburgh Speech Has Its Own Differences."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 14 December 1959, 2.
- "Every One Talks Funny-- But Us."
- Pittsburgher Magazine, 1 (August 1977), 38-39, 79.
- "Straight Talk: Slang Can Derail Job Interview, Stifle Career."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 3 December 1991, B1, B3.
- "Our Towne: Funny Talk."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 20 December 1976.
- "Pittsburg's Sayings and Proverbs:
- Expressions Peculiar to the Smoky City
- and How Some of Them Have Arisen;
- Cosmopolitan Character of the Town
- Shown in Language of Inhabitants."
- The Pittsburg Dispatch,
- 13 December 1910, 7 (Section 5).
- "Take Ten: We'uns Sure Stretch the King's English."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 30 December 1984, 4 (Sunday Magazine).
- How to Speak Dutchified English.
- Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 1987.
- Gitman, Mitch.
- "Internet 'n' at:
- Web Site Pools the Finer Points of Pittsburghese."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 20 January 1997, D-1 - D-2.
- "Pittsburghese in a Day".
- "What's That You Said?
- We May Travel the World but Our Manner of Speaking
- Betrays Our Origin for the Alert Listener."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 30 May 1965, 3 (Magazine).
- "Strictly Pittsburghese:
- Only in Western Pennsylvania Do You Hear
- 'Gum Band' and 'Needs Washed.'"
- The Pittsburgh Press, 18 June 1967, 3 (Magazine).
- "Dilemma in Dialect."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 14 July 1968, 15 (Family Magazine).
Haas, Kenneth Brooks.
- "Folk Speech of the Scotch-Irish-Americans."
- Chap. in Our Scotch-Irish Heritage.
- Long Beach, CA: [Kenneth B. Haas], 1972.
- "Pitt Prof Finds Pittsburghese a Slippy Subject."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 21 November 1978, A-2.
- "The Truth and Consequences of Pittsburghese:
- How You Say 'Downtown' Can Affect Your Career."
- Pittsburgh (February 1992), 40-43.
Kurath, Hans, and Raven I. McDavid, Jr.
- "Regional Dialects of Cultivated Speech." Chap. in
- The Pronunciation of English in the Atlantic States:
- Based upon the Collections.
- of the Linguistic Atlas of the Eastern United States
- Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, .
- "This Column Needs Read."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 21 June 1982, 4.
- "A Tale of 2 Languages."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 27 October 1984, 15, 19.
- "What We Say." The Pittsburgh Press, 18 January 1952.
- "Pittsburghers Have a Dialect All Their Own."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 15 October 1973, (Daily Magazine).
- "He Scotches Pittsburgh Monopoly on 'Yunz.'"
- The Pittsburgh Press, 9 September 1979, A-2.
- How to Speak Pittsburghese:
- A Guide for Conventioneers;.
- A Lexicon for Visitors and Newcomers
- Who Wish to Know the Local Dialect
- Goodwill Industries of Pittsburgh: [Pittsburgh], 1981.
- Sam McCool's New Pittsburghese:
- How to Speak Like a Pittsburgher.
- New Image Press: [Pittsburgh], 1982.
- "A Little Guide to Pittsburghese."
- Pitt (November 1979): 15-16.
Shoemaker, Henry W., compiler.
- Thirteen Hundred Old Time Words
- of British, Continental or Aboriginal Origins, still or recently in use among the Pennsylvania Mountain People.
- Altoona, PA: Times Tribune Press, 1930.
- Abridged by Barry Chad, Senior Librarian, Pennsylvania Department, 2001.
- "Pittsburgh Patois:
- Ever Since Pioneer Days
- the Pennsylvania Dutch, Immigrants from Europe,
- and Other Arrivals Have Joined
- in Producing a Most Unusual Speech Type Here."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 6 September 1959, 4-5 (Family Magazine).
- "Pittsburgh's Peculiar Proverbs."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 8 March 1959, 3 (Magazine).
- "Your Talk Tells Tales:
- Language Varies in Meaning and Sound
- As You Travel along the Back Roads
- and into the Towns and Villages This Professor Says."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 15 October 1972, 10-11 (Magazine).
- "In Appalachia, They Speak [Metaphor]."
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 30 October 1980, 23.
Warnick, Mark S.
- "Lawrenceville Aside,
- Fewer of Yunz Speak Pittsburghese."
- The Pittsburgh Press, 15 July 1990, H1, H4.
["When 'Pizzburgh' Fishermen Meet."]
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 30 April 1981, 7 (East).