Articles, Databases & More
Reliable information from trusted sources
Library databases are searchable collections of up-to-date and accurate information from trusted sources such as encyclopedias, journals, reference books and other authoritative resources. The Library subscribes to these so you can access high-quality, reliable information for free.
Alphabetical List of Databases
Applied Science & Business Periodicals Retrospective features:
Citations to more than 4.5 million articles from more than 2,000 periodicals.
Updated subject headings, ensuring that a search using either old or new search terms will return all the information on that subject.
Original subject headings to offer insight into the way the issues of the day were framed.
The Chronicle Career Library provides comprehensive descriptions of more than 2,000 jobs. Each occupational brief includes information on the work performed, training, education or certifications needed, hours and earnings, and employment outlook.
- Congressional Publications
- Congressional Hearings, 1824 - 1979
- Congressional Research Digital Collection
- United States Serial Set
- United States Serial Set Maps
Digital Recordings of American Music
Only available within the Main Library of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Fold3 provides convenient access to US military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served, as well as access to naturalization records/indexes, city directories, historical newspapers and more. The Fold3 name comes from a traditional flag folding ceremony in which the third fold is made in honor and remembrance of veterans who served in defense of their country and to maintain peace throughout the world.
Foundation Directory Online Professional is the grantseeker's most valuable resource of information on nearly 100,000 foundations, grantmaking public charities, and corporate donors throughout the United States. This database also provides information on over 1.8 million recent grants, access to nearly 650,000 IRS 990s, and is updated weekly.
Log in with your library barcode number and PIN.
GuideStar provides information on the programs and finances of more than 1.8 million IRS-recognized nonprofits across the United States. GuideStar Premium is a comprehensive and authoritative source of information on both grantmakers and grantseeking tax-exempt charities. It is easy to use and updated each day.
IEEE Xplore contains a comprehensive collection of full text documents, reports and standards, providing access to the world's most highly cited journals in electrical engineering, computer science, and electronics.
IEEE Journals held by Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Live Homework Help offers online tutoring for 4th grade to College level students in English, Math, Science and Social Studies. Non-traditional students and adult learners can take advantage of essay writing, skills building, GED prep and other tutoring services designed specifically for adults. To find out how it works, sign up for an account and click their "Check out our FAQs" link.
The NOZASearch database helps nonprofits identify, cultivate, and solicit major gifts for their organizations and is considered one of the top 5 most used prospect research tools. NOZA information comes from publicly available sources, including annual reports and donor lists. The database lists nearly 50 million donations to U.S. nonprofits, providing access to donor name, gift amount, donation type, gift year, recipient organization and more.
Philanthropy In/Sight is an interactive mapping tool designed for grantmakers, policymakers, researchers, academics - anyone interested in the impact of philanthropy around the world today. Using a wide range of customization options, users can quickly create maps that reveal patterns of giving and funding relationships.
- U.S. Businesses: Information on 14 million U.S. Businesses
- International Business: Profiles of 3 million international businesses with information from OneSource
- New Businesses: Find newly registered businesses by date and location
- U.S. Residential: Information on 135 million US households
Several Zinio magazine titles are no longer being offered to libraries. Back issues will continue to be available, but no new issues will be received. We regret the loss of the titles, but hope you will find other titles of interest in the continuing and newly added titles in our collection.
More about our Databases
Many of our databases allow you to do all or some of the following:
- Find full-text articles primary sources, multimedia (videos, photos, audio) and more 24/7 from wherever you are.
- Download, email or print information.
- Get complete citation information for common citation formats.
- Listen to articles.
- Find images and multimedia resources to use in reports and projects.
- Set up email search alerts for new articles on your topic.
- Translate information into a variety of languages.
- Create a free account to save searches, articles, notes and more.
- Search on your phone or other mobile device with a free database app. (Look for the "App" link next to the database listing.)
Why not just search the Web?
- No guarantee of current or accurate information.
- Won't find most of what's included in library databases.
- Fewer full-text articles.
- More difficult to narrow down your results.
- Lots of sponsored or commercial sites and information.
Logging on from home or work?
You can log into most of the databases listed below from outside the library using your library barcode number. Go to Get a Library Card if you don't have one. Databases specified with "No Remote Access" must be used from a computer within the library. "Remote Access (CLP Card)" databases are only accessible with a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (CLP) library card. Databases for non-CLP cardholders.
Have other questions about our databases? Ask a Librarian using the method of your choice.