small text medium text large text

Bethesda Home

Dates:
Established - December 11, 1889
Closed - 1928
Locations:
1st site - 1315 Locust Street (Allegheny City)
2nd site - 1401 Colwell Street
Also Known As:
Founder:
Rev. John Hassler Prugh (1854 - 1915) . His father, the Rev. Peter C. Prugh, was Superintendent of the St. Paul's Orphans' Home in Butler (later Greenville, Mercer County). Both Bethesda and the SPOH were affiliated with the Pittsburgh Synod of the Reformed Church.
Sponsoring Agency:
Pittsburgh Synod of the Reformed Church
Rev. John H. Prugh was the Pastor of Grace Reformed Church, Pittsburgh (corner of Dithridge and Bayard streets)
Notes:
For the shelter and help of friendless, homeless girls and women (1908). For rescuing fallen women and protecting tempted and defenseless girls (1916). To shelter and help deserted and friendless unmarried or widowed mothers and babies (1923).
Home was closed by 1928.
Location of Records:
Unknown / possibly the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society at the Lancaster
Theological Seminary - they have the records of the Grace Reformed Church:
555 W. James Street
Lancaster PA 17603
Phone: 717-290-8734
Email: erhs@lancasterseminary.edu
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
Directory of the Philanthropic Agencies of the City of Pittsburgh, 1908. Kingsley House Association rHV99 .P65 W48 1908
Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916. rHV98 .P4 D575 1916 (Locked Case)
Directory of the Philanthropic, Social and Civic Agencies of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, 1928. The Kingsley Association. rHV99 .P65 W48 1928