small text medium text large text

House of Refuge of Western Pennsylvania

Dates:
Established - April 22, 1850
Closed - 1968
Locations:
1st site - Jack's Run below Manchester (Allegheny City, 9th Ward)
2nd site - Market Street and Fourth Avenue - Union Bank Building (1878)
3rd site - Morganza (Washington County) (1876)
Also Known As:
Pennsylvania Reform School (1876)
Pennsylvania Training School (1912)
Morganza
Canonsburg Youth Development Center
Founder:
Sponsoring Agency:
Notes:
Morganza was named for George Morgan.
Hillman Library has annual reports: HV9105 .P41 A4
Location of Records:
Unknown
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Youth Centers. Morganza, Canonsburg)
A Digest of the Acts of Assembly relating to, and the General Ordinances of the City of Pittsburgh from 1804 to...1886, pp. 161-162 **(r352 P67b8)**
1856 Pittsburgh and Allegheny City Directory
1878 Pittsburgh and Allegheny City Directory
History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Vol. 1, pp. 423-424 **(rF157 .A4 H6 1977x)**
20th Century History of the City of Washington and Washington County, Pennsylvania, p. 210 **(rqF157 .W3 M2 1993x)**