Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations will be closed Memorial Day, Monday, 5/27.
The Orphans' Home and Farm School of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Established - 1854
- Closed - ?
- 1st site - Several temporary sites in Allegheny City and in Pittsburgh
- 2nd site - Zelienople (Butler County) - Farm School for Boys
- 3rd site - Rochester (Beaver County) - Orphans Home for Girls
- Also Known As:
- Lutheran Children's Home of Zelienople (c. 1956)
- Lutheran Youth and Family Services
- Glade Run
- Rev. Dr. William Passavant
- Rev. Gottlieb Bassler
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Institution of Protestant Deaconesses of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (1931)
- Pittsburgh Synod of the United Lutheran Church
- Western Pennsylvania-West Virginia Synod of the Lutheran Church of
- Accepted soldiers' orphans.
- In 1895, the girls moved from Rochester to Zelienople.
- Location of Records:
- Zelienople Historical Society, P.O. Box 45, Zelienople, PA 16063 ;
- PA Department Vertical Files (Orphanages)
- 1933 Directory of Social Agencies
- 1943 Directory of Social Resources
- 1953 Community Services Directory
- 1968 Directory of Health and Welfare Services
- The Development of Children's Homes in Pennsylvania Under the
Auspices of the United Lutheran Church in America
- Pennsylvania's Soldiers' Orphan Schools...With the Pupils Names
Subjoined, p. 511 and p. 518
- Life and Letters of W. A. Passavant, D. D., pp. 221-248
- Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 21, no. 3, p. 29