Our experienced staff at CLP – Main is happy to work with you to customize a visit that is meaningful for your group. We can provide:
- A tour of the building, highlighting departments of interest
- An overview of print and/or electronic resources in a particular subject area
- Catalog and database training
- Reference support to students or adult learners working on independent projects
- Advance Library Card Registration (see details on Agency Library Card, below)
- Storytimes, booktalks and programs for younger children (Pre-K through Grade 5)
- Educational and recreational activities, such as gaming and scavenger hunts, for middle school and high school students
Schedule Your Tour at CLP – Main (Oakland)Sign Up
You will receive confirmation from library staff 3 – 5 days after you schedule your group visit. If you do not receive this confirmation, please call 412.622.3121 to confirm that your group visit has been scheduled.
Details for Scheduling
- Group visits must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. We can only accommodate one scheduled group visit per day. Unannounced group visits cannot be served.
- In order to provide the best experience during your visit, groups sizes of 60 students or group members per group visit for grade 6 and up, and up to 50 students for preschool through fifth grade are preferred. For student groups (grade 6 and up), we ask that at least one chaperone be present for each 15 students. For preschool through fifth grade, one chaperone must be present for every 10 students.
- If you need to cancel the group visit please notify the Library at least 24 hours in advance by calling 412.622.3121.
Agency Library Cards
To provide the best visitor experience possible CLP is pleased to offer your school or organization an agency card. An agency card will offer the opportunity for your group to borrow materials and access electronic resources that support your learning objectives while in the library for your visit. Library materials may be borrowed by everyone in the tour group with this single card, and returned to any library in Allegheny County.
- Agency cards are good for 60 days. Re-activation for future visits may be requested as part of any future group tour requests.
- All group tour visitors within Allegheny County are eligible for an agency card.
- The organization may select up to five individuals accompanying the tour to have access to the account. To ease the check-out process during your visit any listed individual may use a photo ID or badge in lieu of the card to borrow on the account.
To obtain an agency card, fill out and return the following application prior to your scheduled visit. Your card will be available for pickup at the First Floor Customer Services desk.
Click here to download the Agency Card Application form.
If your tour group members would like to obtain their own individual library cards, information to do so can be found here.
If you have questions or would like more information, call 412-622-3118.
Our neighbor, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, houses the Fossil Fuels Cafe, which is located on the Museum’s lower level and offers a variety of tasty sandwiches, baked goods, fruit, drinks, gourmet coffee and more. Fossil Fuels is open Monday through Saturday, 10 am – 4 pm, and Sunday from 12 – 4 pm.
Additionally, the Crazy Mocha Coffee Company operates a coffee bar on the first floor of CLP – Main that serves sandwiches, desserts and other treats.
The Library and Museums operate a six-level parking facility for cars and small vans. The lot is located directly behind the Museum and can be accessed from the intersection of Forbes Avenue and South Craig Street.
Buses can park on Schenley Drive, in the bus lanes next to Phipps Conservatory.