Pittsburgh PA 15210
Building Open Today–
- Sun. Closed
- Mon. –
- Tues. –
- Wed. –
- Thurs. –
- Fri. –
- Sat. –
Fully compliant after 2018 renovation.
All bus routes are subject to change. Please visit the Port Authority of Allegheny County for up-to-date schedules.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Carrick has been serving the community since 1929, and we have had an interesting journey.
Over the years the Library has been housed in an old movie theater and table tennis parlor. Originally, CLP – Carrick and CLP – Brookline were both storefront libraries that shared staff on alternating days from 1929 until 1941. In 1941, CLP – Carrick partnered with CLP – Knoxville, and CLP – Knoxville provided library service to adults only, while CLP – Carrick provided service to all ages.
Then in 1965, CLP – Carrick and CLP – Knoxville became separate full-service libraries with CLP – Carrick remaining in the original 1929 location at 1732 Brownsville Road. Fundraising began for a new Carrick library in 1989 and on April 17, 1993 the new CLP – Carrick location was dedicated at our present address. Use of the Library soon outgrew the 4,000 square foot space and in 2017 construction began on the new 8,000 square foot building.
CLP – Carrick is the first public library in North America built completely using Passive House architectural techniques.
Carrick, located on the southern edge of the City of Pittsburgh, is known as “The Hilltop.” It has beautiful views of the surrounding valleys plus excellent public transportation. Established in 1929, CLP – Carrick remains an important community gathering space and critical resource for literacy and learning. The Library continues to meet the changing needs of its patrons throughout Carrick, Overbrook and the surrounding Hilltop area.