CLP’s Summer 2020 Reopening Plan
A Safe Return to the Library
We’re Rolling Out the Next Phase of Contactless Curbside Service on Tuesday, July 14!
Pick up existing holds, return all those books you’ve been keeping safe, submit a quick print job or take advantage of some outdoor Wi-Fi (while social distancing, of course).
Contactless Curbside & Walk-up Services
Curbside locations are open Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm.
* Dates are subject to change based on circumstances outside of our control.
Locations Currently Offering Curbside:
* CLP – Allegheny
* CLP – Brookline
* CLP – East Liberty
* CLP – Hill District
* CLP – Main (Oakland)
Beginning Tuesday, July 14*:
* CLP – Beechview
* CLP – Hazelwood
* CLP – Homewood
* CLP – Knoxville
* CLP – Squirrel Hill
Beginning Tuesday, July 21*:
* CLP – Carrick
* CLP – Lawrenceville
* CLP – Sheraden
* CLP – South Side
* CLP – West End
* CLP – Woods Run
How Curbside Service Works
We want to assure you that we have been working very hard to make curbside service as smooth, comfortable and safe as possible. Pickup times will be scheduled every 15 minutes. At this time we are not transferring holds from other locations.
When your items are ready you will receive a notice via email, telephone or text. When you get this notice, please call your location to arrange a pick-up time. All visitors will need to have a confirmed appointment time in order to pick up their items.
Due to high volume, if you miss your scheduled pick-up date/time, your items will be removed from your account and you will have to re-request these holds over the phone with our reference staff.
If you have a fever or are not feeling well, please do not come to the Library to pick up your holds. Contact us to let us know you cannot make your pick-up time.
When you arrive at our curbside tent:
* Please plan to arrive during your prearranged pick-up window. Call the location to announce your arrival. You may be asked to verify a piece of personal information to determine identity.
* We ask that you respect social distancing protocols and stand behind the line marked on the sidewalk. Staff are required to wear a face covering and maintain social distancing. We ask that you do the same when using curbside service.
* Staff will retrieve your prepacked items and bring them right to you. They will place the bag on a table. Then, you may step forward and retrieve your items.
* We would love to chat and catch up, but for everyone’s safety please do not linger or congregate in front of the Library.
During curbside hours (Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm), outdoor book returns are conveniently located at open locations to accept items you wish to return.
At this time, staff are not able to take items directly from you.
To limit the spread of COVID-19, we are quarantining all items before processing. Please note that your account will not immediately reflect the returns for at least 72 hours.
Wireless printing is available for pickup at curbside locations during the hours of 10 am – 5 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. The service is free, please limit your printing to ten pages per day. You must make an appointment to pick up your prints and use one of the secure methods listed here.
Requesting New Library Materials
Currently, holds placed prior to April 8, 2020 are being fulfilled in the order in which they were received. We anticipate opening up the Catalog for new holds in mid-July. Thank you for your patience!
To help provide Internet access to as many residents as possible we have expanded the outdoor range of our free Wi-Fi at all Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations. Please practice social distancing and be courteous to your fellow patrons when accessing the network. Please note that the Library’s wireless network is not secure and personal information sent from or to your wireless device can be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software.
CLP – Virtual
Connect and discover no matter where you are. Explore virtual services, resources and programs with CLP – Virtual. The newest corner of our website brings the Library to you anytime, anywhere!
From remote one-on-one assistance with career services and digital literacy to virtual storytimes and book clubs, CLP staff is here to help even when you can’t make it to the physical library. Browse CLP’s eResources collection to stream and download eAudioBooks, eBooks, magazines, TV shows, comics, music and online learning services on your computer or mobile device.
Book a Librarian 1:1 Appointment
Click here to learn how to schedule a one-on-one telephone appointment with a CLP staff member.
Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped (LBPH)
Library staff are distributing a wide range of lendable resources to Pennsylvania residents who are unable to read standard sized newsprint, unable to hold a book or turn pages, or who have a physically-based reading disability. If you are unable to read standard-sized print because of vision or physical limitations or know someone who could benefit from LBPH service, click here to learn more about the world of talking books.
Our Commitment to Safety
The Library’s quarantine plan for materials exceeds the time that the CDC indicates that the COVID-19 virus can survive on paper or plastic.
* Returned items are quarantined for at least 72 hours before staff process them.
* Items with plastic covers that appear visibly dirty will be subject to additional cleaning.
* Buildings have been deep cleaned.
* All staff are required to wear face coverings. Gloves are required for staff handling library materials.
* Sanitizer, cleanser and other personal protective equipment are located throughout each building. Work stations and break rooms have been adjusted to follow recommended proper distancing within the buildings.
* High touch points are routinely cleaned and sanitized.
* Temperatures are taken at the start of every shift. Staff who exhibit a temperature of 100.4 or higher, are sick or who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms are not permitted to work.
* Should a staff member test positive for COVID-19 they will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
* COVID-19 training is provided to all staff to reinforce CDC guidelines and help identify symptoms of COVID-19 in themselves.