What’s happening in the “Green Phase”
We’re Back – Introducing Curbside Service!
Drumroll please ….. our phased return to in-person service begins on Tuesday, June 23 with curbside service at five locations!
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we worked through logistics to keep everyone safe and limit exposure to the COVID-19 virus. CLP staff are preparing for county-wide delivery of library materials, book returns and curbside service at select locations. We will refine our processes and procedures at these locations first so that we can comfortably extend curbside service to all other CLP locations in the near future. We’re also working behind–the–scenes to assess each location for safety and social distancing as we continue to think through how to increase the in-person services available.
Curbside service (Starting June 23)
- CLP – Allegheny
- CLP – Brookline
- CLP – East Liberty
- CLP – Hill District
- CLP – Main (Oakland)
Here’s everything you need to know about curbside service:
We want to assure you that we have been working very hard to make curbside services as smooth, comfortable and safe as possible. Starting the week of June 8, staff will begin calling patrons who already have items ready for check out to make an appointment to pick up their item(s). We appreciate your patience – we have a lot of requests to fill! Holds placed prior to April 8, 2020 will be fulfilled in the order in which they were received.
Pickup times will be scheduled every 15 minutes. Due to high volume, if you miss your scheduled pick-up date/time, your items will be removed from your account and you will have to re-request these holds over the phone with our reference staff.
If you have a fever or are not feeling well, please do not come to the Library to pick up your holds. Contact us to let us know you cannot make your pick-up time.
As our ability to distribute materials resumes, you will receive notices via email, telephone or text. When you get this notice, please call your location to arrange a pick–up time. All visitors will need to have a confirmed appointment time in order to pick up their items.
When you arrive at our curbside tent:
- Please plan to arrive during your prearranged pick–up window. Call the location to announce your arrival. You may be asked to verify a piece of personal information to determine identity.
- We ask that you respect social distancing protocols and stand behind the line marked on the sidewalk. Staff are required to wear a face mask and maintain social distancing protocols. We ask that you do the same when using curbside service.
- Staff will retrieve your prepacked items and bring them right to you. They will place the bag on a table. Then, you may step forward and retrieve your items.
- We would love to chat and catch up, but please do not linger or congregate in front of the Library. If this occurs, our curbside service will be discontinued.
You asked – we listened! During curbside hours (Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm), outdoor book returns will be conveniently located to accept items you wish to return. At this time, staff are not able to take items directly from you. To limit the spread of COVID-19, we are quarantining all items before processing. Please note that your account will not immediately reflect the returns for at least 72 hours. If you are not able to return your items at this time, please hold onto them until all of our locations are open. Fines are still being waived.
Plans are also underway for a 1-day county-wide book collection event to return your borrowed items, which would take place at multiple libraries in mid-June. Additional information will be shared soon.
Our commitment to safety:
- Returned items are quarantined for at least 72 hours before staff process them.
- Items with plastic covers that appear visibly dirty will be subject to additional cleaning.
- The Library’s quarantine plan exceeds the time that the CDC indicates that the COVID-19 virus can survive on paper or plastic.
- All staff handling library materials are required to wear a mask and gloves.
That’s ok. We’re here for you. Browse our eResource collection for digital books, streaming music and videos available 24/7 through our website. While you’re there, check out this month’s line-up of virtual programs and remote services.
We miss you, Pittsburgh, and can’t wait to see you soon!