Summer is almost here! At Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh this means reading for fun, helping to break the city’s 180,000 Summer Reading record, programs for youth of all ages and the summer food program.
During summer 2017, CLP locations served more than 12,000 meals to youth ages 18 and under!
This summer, CLP will continue its participation in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) in order to ensure even more Pittsburgh youth have access to free food during summer vacation. This is incredibly important because good nutrition is essential for learning. Youth who miss breakfast and lunch don’t return to school ready to learn, and they score lower on achievement tests.
Stop by the Library on weekdays for hands-on activities, crafts, games and meals with friends! Summer Meals will begin on Tuesday, June 12 and run on weekdays through August 17. The following CLP locations will offer food through the Summer Food Service Program:
- CLP – Allegheny: 12:30pm hot lunch; 3pm snack
- CLP – Beechview: 12:30pm hot lunch; 3:30pm snack
- CLP – Brookline: 3pm snack
- CLP – Downtown & Business: 3pm snack
- CLP – East Liberty: 12pm hot lunch; 3:30pm snack
- CLP – Hazelwood: 3:45pm snack
- CLP – Hill District: 3pm snack (Mon-Thurs)
- CLP – Homewood: 3pm snack
- CLP – Knoxville: 11am hot lunch; 3pm snack
- CLP – Lawrenceville: 3pm snack (Mon-Thurs)
- CLP – Main, Children’s Department: 11am snack; 2pm snack
- CLP – Main, Teenspace: 2pm snack
- CLP – Sheraden: 10am breakfast; 3pm snack
- CLP – South Side: 2:30pm snack
- CLP – West End: 2pm snack
- CLP – Woods Run: 11:30am hot lunch; 3pm snack
Meals and activities will be provided during the above times each day while supplies last and are for youth ages 18 and younger, and for persons with disabilities up to age 21. Please help us spread the word about this service to others in your neighborhood.
Meals are being offered locally in collaboration with Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, Pittsburgh CitiParks and Rebuilding Better Communities as part of the federally funded Summer Food Service Program.
You can find other summer meals in your community by searching https://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks