- This event has passed.
A Celebration of Seeds: 11th Annual Seed Swap
March 4 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
NEW! DAY-OF DETAILS:
We can’t wait to see you at A Celebration of Seeds: 11th Annual Seed Swap, which will take place this Saturday, March 4th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Main (Oakland). This event will take place throughout the first and second floor of the building with various activities.
Please consider a few notes about this annual event:
- New batches of seeds will be released on the hour, every hour, with the last batch released at 1:00 PM.
- To donate seeds, they must be untreated and non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) in a sealed package and clearly labeled with seed variety. There will be a staffed table on the second floor to donate the seeds.
- The nearest bus stops to the Library are located at Forbes Ave & Bellefield NS, and at Forbes Ave opposite Craig St.
- Visitors can enter the Library through the front entrance or through the Portal entrance at the rear of the building at Forbes Ave opposite Craig St. Our front entrance is currently undergoing renovation and the lift to get into the building is temporarily unavailable. Visitors in need of lift and/or elevator access, please enter the building using our Portal Entrance at the rear of the building at Forbes Ave opposite Craig St. After entering the building, follow the orange dots on the ground to the Library’s internal elevator. You can read more about the renovation here.
- A 6-level parking garage is located behind the Library/Museums off of Craig St and Forbes Ave. This is also where you will find the Portal entrance.
- Masks are not required but recommended in Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh spaces.
Swap seeds at the library! Bring your untreated, non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) seeds to share or just pick up seeds donated by local gardeners, farmers and seed companies! A new batch of seeds will be released every hour, on the hour. Any guest bringing seeds will be eligible to enter a prize of fun items from Phipps Conservatory, Grow Pittsburgh and Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.
Stop by to enjoy:
- Free seeds in the South Wing Reading Room
- A new batch of seeds will be released every hour, on the hour.
- “Ask a master gardener” table
- Workshops on seed starting, seed saving, and organic gardening in the North Wing Music Room
- Creative activities for children and teens
- Historic items on display and conversation with our Rare Books Specialist
- Film Screening of “Gather” and photobooth
- Sensory friendly space offered in the Director’s Office Conference Room
10:30 am: Seed Starting
11:30 am: Seed Saving
12:30 pm: Organic Gardening
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh thanks our program partners: Phipps Conservatory and Grow Pittsburgh. Check out the book list compiled by our partners here: 2023 Celebration of Seeds Book List.