- This event has passed.
Adult Battle of the Books Night 1 – REGISTRATION CLOSED
September 14 @ 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
This Battle is FULL! We are no longer taking team registrations.
Competitive readers, it is time to wipe off your reading glasses, sharpen your pencils and put on the coffee: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is pleased to announce that Adult Battle of the Books, the book-based trivia showdown, will return for 2022. Get your team together and join us for a night of light-yet-surprisingly competitive book trivia at Threadbare Cider House on September 14. (If 9/14 doesn’t work for you, we’re also having one on 9/15.) The event begins at 6 pm, with the game starting at 7 pm sharp.
Adult Battle of the Books is a trivia game created by the career bookworms at CLP just for you, our book-loving city of literary champions. Teams of 3-5 readers have the summer to carefully read a list of ten titles, then we gather in September for three rounds of trivia question about the people, places, and plots of those books, all while enjoying delicious food and beverages sold by our host Threadbare Cider House.
Here’s how you can join the fun:
- Form Your Team: Teams should be 3-5 people. Each team should identify a Team Manager, who will be the main point of contact with the Library. Don’t forget to pick a name that will strike fear into the hearts of other readers.
- Register for the Battle (below): Once you have your team, fill out our registration form below. Registration will remain open until July 31, but we will close registration early if the event fills up, which it has in all previous years. Register early!
- Prepare for the Battle: Get copies of the battle books – check the library for lots of copies in a variety of formats. Make a strategy – will everyone read all of the books, or will you split up the list?
- Let the Battle Begin: Arrive at the Threadbare Cider House on the designated evening ready to compete! There will be three rounds of questions.
All of the questions will be taken from these ten books*:
- Punch Me Up to the Gods by Brian Broome (Print, eBook)
- Trust Exercise by Susan Choi (Print, eBook)
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi (Print, eBook)
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell (Print, eBook)
- The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw (Print)
- Orange World by Karen Russell (Print, eBook)
- All the Names They Used for God by Anjali Sachdeva (Print, eBook)
- Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart (Print, eBook)
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong (Print, eBook)
- What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Blacker by Damon Young (Print, eBook)