Adult Battle of the Books – Night 1
October 18 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
**Update 8/3/23: Registration for both Wednesday, 10/18 and Thursday, 10/19 is now closed. All available spots have been filled.**
Competitive readers, it is time to wipe off your reading glasses, sharpen your pencils and put on the coffee: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is pleased to announce that Adult Battle of the Books, the book-based trivia showdown, will return for 2023. This year in October, we are embarking on a spooky theme for our title selections and, based on feedback, we’ve trimmed our list from ten to five titles!
Get your team together and join us for a night of light-yet-surprisingly competitive book trivia at Threadbare Cider House on October 18. (If 10/18 doesn’t work for you, we’re also having one on 10/19.) The event begins at 6 pm, with the game starting at 7 pm sharp.
Adult Battle of the Books is a trivia game created by the career bookworms at CLP just for you, our book-loving city of literary champions. Teams of 3-5 readers have the summer to carefully read a list of five titles, then we gather in October for three rounds of trivia question about the people, places, and plots of those books, all while enjoying delicious food and beverages sold by our host Threadbare Cider House.
Here’s how you can join the fun:
- Form Your Team: Teams should be 3-5 people and all players must be 18+. Each team should identify a Team Leader, who will be the main point of contact with the Library. Don’t forget to pick a name that will strike fear into the hearts of other readers.
- Register for the Battle (below): Once you have your team, fill out our registration form below. Registration will remain open until August 4th, but we will close registration early if the event fills up, which it has in all previous years. Register early!
- Prepare for the Battle: Get copies of the battle books – check the library for lots of copies in a variety of formats. Make a strategy – will everyone read all of the books, or will you split up the list?
- Let the Battle Begin: Arrive at the Threadbare Cider House on the designated evening ready to compete! There will be three rounds of questions.
All of the questions will be taken from these five books*:
- Jackal by Erin Adams
- Empire of Wild by Cheria Dimaline
- White Cat, Black Dog by Kelly Link
- The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Sorrowland by Rivers Solomon
- Age Group
September 22 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
September 23 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm