18th Annual Summer Reading Extravaganza
Challenge your friends this summer to read, read, and read some more!
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh needs your help to break the city’s 180,000 Summer Reading record. The fun begins June 10 with an outdoor festival for all ages. Grab a friend and head over to the Library in Oakland for music, crafts, games, storytelling, food trucks and lots more. While you’re there, enroll in Summer Reading and get your materials!
Library Activities Include:
- Bouncy house and inflatable games
- Historical Tours of Main Library
- Discover the fascinating history of the Main Library, including highlights of the building’s art, architecture and how Andrew Carnegie shaped the community through his gift of the Carnegie Institute.
- Tours will take place on the hour between 1 and 5 pm, spaces are limited and sign up is required ahead of time. Visit the Welcome Station located outside the Library Front Entrance for more information.
- Chess Club
- Play chess: find a friendly challenger or stop by to learn the basics
- Make your own chess piece
- DataBurgh (sponsored by JP Morgan Chase & Co)
- Create friendship bracelets with your summer reading goal
- Contribute to a fun community data art piece
- Family PlayShop
- Play and learn together with toys and activities for children ages birth to 5 years and their caregivers
- Global Library (sponsored by Pittsburgh Penguins)
- Play Naturalization Jeopardy
- Explore Library resources for English Language Learners
- LBPH Sensory Experience
- Play with sounds, create tactile images and learn about braille
- Ask us about accessible apps, reading materials and more
- Local History
- Test your knowledge of local history and fun facts
- Add yourself to our giant Pittsburgh timeline
- Make a button with images from the Pittsburgh Photographic Library
- Music Playground (sponsored by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Stop by for rhythm games and explore the electronic gadget playground
- Readers Games
- Get crafty in Comics Corner
- Know your literature? Play Book Cover Jeopardy!
- Questions about what to read next? Our librarians can help with that!
- STEM and The Labs (sponsored by PPG Foundation)
- Program a robot, make art with tech, and snap a photo using a green screen
- Used Book Sale
- Browse our selection of new and gently used books (and some AV). There is something for everyone!
- What’s Your Pothole?: Little Fixes Make a Difference
- Tackle community problems and learn how to make change happen by voting, running for office, or making your voice heard.
Food & Drink:
- Decorate and enjoy your own Eat’n Park cookie
- Grab a granola bar, juice box, and piece of fruit from the Giant Eagle Snack Station
- Stop by the WISH 99.7 Street Treat Patrol for a free snack between 12 and 2:30 pm
- Purchase food from great local food trucks, and help support your Library:
- Kona Ice Pittsburgh
- Oh My Grill
- The Pub Chip Shop
- Wise County Biscuits
- 12:00 – Pittsburgh Puppet Works, WQED Writers Contest (EQT Stage)
- 12:40 – Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Welcome (EQT Stage)
- 1:00 – Pittsburgh Musical Theater, Xtreme Teen Broadway (EQT Stage)
- 1:00 – Penguin Meet & Greet (Quiet Reading Room)
- 1:30 – Leaping Beauty Puppet Show (Children’s)
- 2:00 – 1Hood (EQT Stage)
- 2:45 – Baby and Toddler Snugglebugs Storytime (Family PlayShop)
- 3:00 – The Magic of Ray Lucas (EQT Stage)
- 3:15 – Grecian Odyssey Dancers (Quiet Reading Room)
- 4:00 – Timbeleza, Street Samba Funk (EQT Stage)
- ….and more!
In collaboration with:
Duquesne Athletics, Giant Eagle, Kids’ Thinking Lab at the University of Pittsburgh, PA Virtual Charter School, The Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School, and Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy