John H. Mellor (1807-1863) born in England, came to Pittsburgh in 1829. He was organist at Trinity Episcopal Church from 1831-1858. John H. Mellor, W.C. Peters and W.D. Smith opened the first music store in Pittsburgh in 1831, called Smith, Peters & Company. It became Smith & Mellor’s Music Store in 1832, J.H. Mellor and Co. in 1834, then C.C. Mellor Company (Mellor’s) in 1863 when John’s son Charles C. Mellor took over.
Overview of the Collection
Reference Code: Pittsburgh Music Archive #46, volumes 1 – 3.
Creator: John H. Mellor (1807-1863)
Dates: 1848 – 1860
Extent: 3 scrapbooks
Repository: Music Department, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh-Main, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Acquisition Information: N/A
Requested Citation: Mellor, John H., Scrapbooks, Pittsburgh Music Archive #46, Music Department, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Finding Aid Created by: Mina Belle Wichmann, Joelle Killebrew
Related Music Archive Collections at CLP: Charles C. Mellor Collection
Notes on the Collection
Scope and Content Note: 3 scrapbooks of newspaper clippings and concert programs.
Scrapbook Volume #1 – Folio Sized
The pages of this scrapbook have been unbound and encapsulated in polyester sheets, so the pages can be handled and are visible both front and back.
- Primarily a scrapbook of mid-19th century newspaper ads and articles by and about John H. Mellor, whose piano business was located at 81 Wood Street in Pittsburgh (between Diamond Alley and Fourth), where he featured Chickering pianos. He also collected newspaper ads for Steinway pianos as sold by H. Kleber & Bro. at 53 Fifth Street in Pittsburgh, agents for Steinway & Sons of New York City.
- Articles about Chickering pianos in Boston newspapers of January 1859, citing the history of building these instruments and the reputation of Jonas Chickering.
- Articles from Evening Chronicle debating the construction merits of Chickering vs. Steinway pianos. Special comments by John H. Mellor.
- Ads in Pittsburgh newspapers for items sold by John H. Mellor including pianos, harmoniums, melodeons, guides to teaching piano, a collection of cathedral chants, and young folks glee book.
- Copies of various programs:
- Mlle. Piccolomini, Feb. 21, 1859
- Soiree Musicale in Lafayette Hall, Fe. 9, 1858
- Oratorios at St. Peter’s Church on Grant Street, June 18, 1860 – benefit performance for purchase of organ for St. Mark’s Church in East Birmingham.
- Festival Concert by choral society at St. Andrew’s Church, 1858
- Concert of Sacred Music for benefit of Protestant Episcopal Church of East Liberty (in Lafayette Hall), Dec. 29, 1856.
Scrapbook Volume #2
- Newspaper ads dated June 1848 announcing John H. Mellor as being sole agent for the sale of Chickering pianos at 81 Wood Street, Pittsburgh.
- Petition filed by Jonas Chickering in the House of Representatives for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts preventing a Joseph Coy Chickering (formerly Joseph Bunnel Coy) from falsifying his name and using it to manufacture pianos as “Chickering” but inferior in quality. Jonas Chickering’s petition was upheld and the fraudulent person prevented from further activity relating to Chickering pianos.
- Numerous miscellaneous newspaper articles (beginning in 1848) from various cities on a variety of musical subjects and opinions.
Scrapbook Volume #3
- Eight pages of various articles on musical opinion and reviews, beginning 1851.