We are no longer accepting submissions for 2018.
All top-rated submissions will be published in the 2018 Ralph Munn Creative Writing Anthology, a book of creative work distributed to all Allegheny County public and school libraries. All writers will be invited to the Teen Media Awards, a special event celebrating the work of local teens on August 11.
- Short Prose
- 1st Prize: $250
- 2nd Prize: $100
Deadline to enter: 11:59 pm, Sunday, April 15, 2018
Prizes will be awarded in both categories.
Everyone who enters will be invited to the Teen Media Awards celebration on Saturday, August 11th. All submitters will be notified prior to the Awards ceremony whether or not they have won an award.
- Contest is open to all high school students (grade 9 – 12) in Allegheny County.
- No more than two (2) entries per individual will be accepted. These two (2) submissions can be in any combination of categories.
- Category requirements:
- Poetry submissions may not exceed two (2) pages and must be typed in 12 pt. font.
- Short Prose submissions may not exceed 4,000 words and must be typed in 12 pt. font.
- All submissions must be original work by a single author; no plagiarism and no work containing copyrighted characters (including fanfiction) will be considered.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished but do not need to be created specifically for the contest. Creative work written for school assignments, workshops or other contests is acceptable.
- Entries must be in .doc or .docx format and must not include your name or any other identifying details. Your personal information should only be entered in the required fields of the submission form.
- Submissions that do not conform to contest guidelines will not be considered.
- All entries must be submitted by 11:59 pm on Sunday, April 15, 2018
Writers may submit original works of fiction or creative nonfiction no greater than 4,000 words in length. Short stories, personal narratives, essays, memoirs and commentaries are all acceptable for this category. In evaluating short prose submissions, judges will consider originality of content and style, development of plot or themes, technical attention to grammar and mechanics, and the author’s command of language.
Poems of any form, including –but not limited to– free verse, sonnets, villanelles, sestinas, slam-style poetry and narrative poetry are accepted. Poems will be selected based upon the exemplary clarity, economy, and freshness of language, use of sound and rhythm, complementary nature of the form and content of the poem, and ability to evoke an intellectual or emotional response. Poetry submissions may not exceed two (2) pages in length.
For questions, writing workshop events, or help getting started:
Visit any Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh location or any Allegheny County Library to ask a teen specialist for assistance, call 412.237.1890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMAGE: Detail from “Nature” by Lexi Hall, 2018 Ralph Munn Creative Writing Anthology cover art award winner.