Hill District Community Archive
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh has been an anchor in the Hill District community since the first location on Wylie Avenue opened in 1899. A newly constructed library, CLP – Hill District, was opened on Centre Avenue in 2008.
The Hill District Community Archive is housed at CLP – Hill District. It contains neighborhood-focused newspaper articles, photographs and other historical items. Coverage is strongest from 1930 –1990.
Scope and Content
- African American Pennsylvania History
- African American Pittsburgh History
- Arts and Culture: music, cultural activities and fine arts
- August Wilson
- Biographies and obituaries of prominent residents of the region
- The “Books by Bus” Program
- Business and Commerce: saving and loans, the Credit Union, Phoenix Hill Mall, new business openings and business development
- Carnegie Library – Wylie Avenue Branch (former name of CLP – Hill District): photos and programs
- Community newsletters and publications
- Demographics of the Hill District: census information, statistics and maps
- Education and Youth: schools, clubs and social programs. Included are a series of articles from the 1930s – 1950s about Hill City, a mock municipality run by and for Hill District youth with the goal of instilling civic virtue and responsibility
- Flyers and articles relating to the Carnegie Library’s involvement in the Hill District (Wylie Ave. Branch, MLK Reading Room)
- Government and Politics: Hill District government and politics and other civic associations, including the Model Cities program active from 1960-1970
- Health: articles and pamphlets pertaining to health issues affecting Hill District residents
- Hill District general history
- Housing and Urban Renewal: housing, redevelopment, Urban Housing Authority, Model Cities program
- Magazines, pamphlets, reference and history books from the 1950s-1980s
- Photos from Library programs
- Religion and Social Service: Hill District churches, religious groups and social service organizations, including the Hill House Association
CLP – Hill District also has a large map of the neighborhood on display, highlighting significant places and events from playwright August Wilson’s life and works.