It’s been a long, gray, Pittsburgh winter, but summer is almost here! At Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh this means reading at least five books for fun, programs for youth of all ages and the summer food program.
During summer 2018, CLP locations served almost 20,000 meals to youth ages 18 and under – a 55% increase over the previous summer!
In summer 2019, CLP will continue its participation in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) in order to ensure even more Pittsburgh youth have access to free food during summer vacation. This is incredibly important because good nutrition is essential for learning. Youth who miss breakfast and lunch don’t return to school ready to learn and they score lower on achievement tests.
Stop by the Library on weekdays for hands-on activities, crafts, games and meals with friends!
Summer Meals will begin on Monday, June 17 and run on weekdays through August 23, 2019.
The following CLP locations will offer food through the Summer Food Service Program:
- CLP – Allegheny: 12:30pm hot lunch
- CLP – Beechview: 3pm snack
- CLP – Brookline: 3pm snack (Mon-Thurs)
- CLP – Carrick: 11:30am hot lunch; 3pm snack
- CLP – Downtown & Business: 2:30pm snack
- CLP – East Liberty: 12pm hot lunch; 3:30pm snack
- CLP – Hazelwood: 12:45pm hot lunch; 3:45pm snack (Tues-Thurs beginning July 1)
- CLP – Hill District: 3pm snack
- CLP – Homewood: 12pm hot lunch
- CLP – Knoxville: 12pm hot lunch; 3pm snack
- CLP – Main, Children’s Department: 11am snack; 2pm snack
- CLP – Main, Teenspace: 2pm snack
- CLP – Sheraden: 10am breakfast; 3pm snack
- CLP – West End: 2pm snack
- CLP – Woods Run: 12pm hot lunch; 3:30pm snack
Meals and activities will be provided during the above times each day while supplies last and are for youth ages 18 and younger, and for persons with disabilities up to age 21. Please help us spread the word about this service to others in your neighborhood.
You can find other summer meals in your community by searching http://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks