Downtown is the neighborhood that the whole city shares. The Library reflects this by offering diverse, interesting, popular and ever-improving services to meet the changing needs of our community.
CLP – Downtown answers more questions than any other neighborhood location. Go ahead and try to stump us! The Library has been in nine locations since its first opening in the Pittsburgh City-County Building way back in 1924. Other memorable locations include the Union Trust Building, Kaufmann’s Service Annex on Diamond Street and a collaborative location with Point Park.
CLP – Downtown moved to its current home on Smithfield Street on February 1, 2005. The Library is now across the street from the busiest bus stop in the city, and just a few steps away from The Two Andys, a public art project featuring Andy Warhol and Andrew Carnegie in beauty chairs, by Tom Mosser and Sarah Zeffiro.
In 2020-2021, CLP – Downtown underwent an extensive renovation and expansion. The 21,400 square foot Library is approximately 68% larger and fully ADA compliant, allowing for flexibility for future needs and community interests. The reimagined first floor features an open, two-story foyer, a welcoming window seating area and ample space for collections, resources and technology. Accessible by elevator or the grand staircase, the second floor includes dynamic spaces for children, teens and adults, as well as meeting rooms for large groups and co-working and quiet workspaces for smaller gatherings. The newly renovated branch also includes space for community partners supporting job, educational and career-related activities, as well as health and social services.
Join one of our book clubs or learn something new — it’s all here at CLP – Downtown.