Pittsburgh PA 15211
Building Open Today–
- Sun. Closed
- Mon. –
- Tues. –
- Wed. –
- Thurs. –
- Fri. –
- Sat. –
- Fully ADA compliant
- Accessible entrance
- Elevator Access to library floors
- Accessible restrooms
- Learn more
All bus routes are subject to change. Please visit the Port Authority of Allegheny County for up-to-date schedules.
About Mt. Washington
Mt. Washington was once known as Coal Hill, but as mining and farming were replaced by residential development, Coal Hill became Mt. Washington. To provide transportation for the growing residential development, three inclines were built. Today, two of them remain: the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline. Along with being a popular tourist attraction, the inclines continue to serve the residents.
In 1882, those residents came together to form “The Mt. Washington Reading and Library Association” and began raising the funds for a community library. As a result, a reading room was established in 1888. Andrew Carnegie supported the community’s effort and provided the funding to build the Library. The two-story brick building was designed by Alden & Harlow and was opened on May 31, 1900.
Today, this neighborhood location is home to a variety of programs and services that enhance literacy and learning for all ages.
We look forward to welcoming you to CLP – Mt. Washington. Take a moment to enjoy the view!
CLP – Mt. Washington is located directly across from one of the scenic overlooks on Grandview Avenue. The Library opened in 1900 and was one of the first of the neighborhood-style libraries built by Andrew Carnegie.