Battle of the Books is a team trivia contest based on books. Form your team, read the selected books and prepare to compete! This year our Battle may look and feel a little different from past years, because it will happen in a virtual environment, but it will still provide the same fun type of trivia competition for participants in a streamlined format.
Battle dates and booklists are selected by age group. Mark your calendar for your battle.
- This year’s battles will be virtual! More details coming soon!
Join the battle! Here’s how:
- Form Your Team – Team members must be in grades 5 – 12, with 3 – 5 people per team. Come up with a descriptive team name (you could choose a book theme or incorporate school spirit… the possibilities are endless). Feel free to wear decorated team t-shirts or matching outfits to the Battle!
- Select a Team Manager- Your Team Manager should be an adult (18 or older) who can help you get organized. Many teams ask a teacher, parent or school librarian to be their Team Manager. For more information about team managers and their role, check out our FAQ’s page.
- Register for Battle of the Books (below) – Registration will close on Sunday, January 31, 2021. Please make sure you have all of the necessary team information before registering – if you need to make team edits after the December 20th deadline, email them to email@example.com.
- Prepare for Battle- Find your battle books (see booklists by age group linked above). Check the Library for lots of copies in multiple print, audio and electronic formats. Look over your specified booklist, and decide how your team is going to split up the books. Is everyone going to read two books? Is everyone going to read all of the books? It’s up to you! Meet with your team members virtually to discuss the characters, themes, and settings of the books.
- Let the Battle Begin!- Team managers will be emailed their Battle Zoom link once registration has closed. There will be three rounds of questions (character, setting, plot), with a break in-between each round for scoring.
Registration for Battle of the Books opens Tuesday, December 1, 2020 and ends January 31, 2021.
For more information on how the battle event is structured, check out our Frequently Asked Questions.