Battle of the Books is a team trivia contest based on books. Form your team, read the selected books and prepare to compete!
Battle dates and booklists are selected by age group. Mark your calendar for your battle.
Join the battle! Here’s how:
- Form Your Team – Team members must be in grades 6 – 12, with 3 – 5 people per team. Come up with a descriptive team name (you could choose a book theme or incorporate school spirit… the possibilities are endless). Feel free to wear decorated team t-shirts or matching outfits to the Battle!
- Select a Team Manager- Your Team Manager should be an adult (18 or older) who can help you get organized. Many teams ask a teacher, parent or school librarian to be their Team Manager. For more information about team managers and their role, check out our FAQ’s page.
- Register for Battle of the Books (below) – Registration will close earlier this year than in previous years: Friday, December 20, 2019. Please make sure you have all of the necessary team information before registering – if you need to make team edits after the December 20th deadline, email them to email@example.com.
- Prepare for Battle- Find your battle books (see booklists by age group above). Check the Library for lots of copies in multiple print and electronic formats. Look over your specified booklist, and decide how your team is going to split up the books. Is everyone going to read two books? Is everyone going to read all of the books? It’s up to you! Meet with your team members to discuss the characters, themes, and settings of the books – the library is a great place for that!
- Let the Battle Begin!- Arrive at least 15 minutes early to your designated library location. Team managers will be notified of their battle location once registration has closed. There will be three rounds of questions (character, setting, plot), with a break in-between each round for scoring.
Battle of the BooksRegister
Registration for Battle of the Books ends December 20, 2019.
For more information on the night of the battle, check out our Frequently Asked Questions.