About Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Mt. Washington
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Mt. Washington is known as the Library with the view, as it is located on Grandview Avenue across from one of the scenic overlooks and is situated between the last two operating inclines in Pittsburgh. Along with the regular patrons from Duquesne Heights and Mt. Washington, the Library welcomes visitors from all over the world that come to see the world-famous Pittsburgh skyline. The Library and Grandview Avenue are part of a scenic byway known as Emerald View Park. From the very beginning, CLP – Mt. Washington was dedicated to serve as a neighborhood library.
Mt. Washington was once known as Coal Hill, but as mining and farming were replaced by residential development, Coal Hill became Mt. Washington. To provide transportation for the growing residential development, three inclines were built. Today, two of them remain: the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline. Along with being a popular tourist attraction, the inclines continue to serve the residents.
In 1882, those residents came together to form “The Mt. Washington Reading and Library Association” and began raising the funds for a community library. As a result, a reading room was established in 1888. Andrew Carnegie supported the community’s effort and provided the funding to build the Library. The two-story brick building was designed by Alden & Harlow and was opened on May 31, 1900.
Today, this neighborhood location is home to a variety of programs and services that enhance literacy and learning for all ages.
We look forward to welcoming you to CLP – Mt. Washington. Take a moment to enjoy the view!