Our experienced staff at CLP – Main is happy to work with you to customize a visit that is meaningful for your group. We can provide:
- A tour of the building, highlighting departments of interest
- An overview of print and/or electronic resources in a particular subject area
- Catalog and database training
- Reference support to students or adult learners working on independent projects
- Group Borrowing (see details on group borrowing card below)
- Storytimes, booktalks and programs for children Pre-K through Grade 5
- Educational and recreational activities, such as gaming and scavenger hunts, for middle and high school students
Schedule a Children’s or Teen TourSign Up
Schedule an Adult TourSign Up
Historical Tours of Main LibraryRegister
You will receive confirmation from library staff 3 – 5 days after you schedule your group visit. If you do not receive this confirmation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that your group visit has been scheduled.
Details for Scheduling
- To appropriately prepare for you, group visits must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance. To maximize your group tour experience, we will only schedule one group visit per day. Unannounced group visits may not be accommodated with a full tour.
- In order to provide the best experience during your visit, we strongly encourage the following group sizes and chaperone-to-student ratios:
- For groups whose members are in grades 6 and up: no more than 50 members per group visit with at least one chaperone for every 15 students
- For groups whose members are in preschool – fifth grade: no more than 40 members per group visit with at least one chaperone for every 10 students
- If you need to cancel the group visit please notify the Library at least 24 hours in advance by emailing email@example.com. In the event of a weather-related cancellation on the day of your visit, please call 412-622-3114 and provide your name, phone number and name of the group visiting.
To provide the best visitor experience possible CLP is pleased to offer your school or organization a group borrowing card. A group borrowing card will offer the opportunity for your group to check-out materials and access electronic resources that support your learning objectives while in the library for your visit. Library materials may be borrowed by everyone in the tour group with this single card, and returned to any library in Allegheny County.
- Group Borrowing cards are good for 60 days. Re-activation for future visits may be requested as part of any future group tour requests.
- All group tour visitors within Allegheny County are eligible for a group borrowing card.
- The organization may select up to five individuals accompanying the tour to have access to the account. To ease the check-out process during your visit any listed individual may use a photo ID or badge in lieu of the card to borrow on the account.
To obtain a group borrowing card, fill out and return the following application prior to your scheduled visit. Your card will be available for pickup at the First Floor Customer Services desk.
Download the application here: Group Borrowing Card Application form.
If your tour group members would like to obtain their own individual library cards, information to do so can be found here.
If you have questions or would like more information on library card access, call 412-622-3118.
Our neighbor, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, houses the Fossil Fuels Café, which is located on the Museum’s lower level and offers a variety of tasty sandwiches, baked goods, fruit, drinks, gourmet coffee and more. To view their hours or contact information to reserve table space in their café, visit the Fossil Fuels website.
Additionally, the Crazy Mocha Coffee Company operates a coffee bar on the first floor of CLP – Main that serves sandwiches, desserts, and other treats. Food and drink can be enjoyed on the first floor of the Library, and lidded drinks are allowed on all three floors.
The Library and Museums operate a six-level parking facility for cars and small vans. The lot is located directly behind the Museum and can be accessed from the intersection of Forbes Avenue and South Craig Street.
Buses can park on Schenley Drive, in the bus lanes next to Phipps Conservatory.