The Pittsburgh Orchestra, in existence from 1896 – 1910, was Pittsburgh’s world renown, premier orchestra during Andrew Carnegie’s heyday. The Music Department holds the archives of the Pittsburgh Orchestra including correspondence, contracts, concert programs, newspaper clippings, notes, publicity flyers, and other ephemera that have been bound together in 23 volumes. Individuals in this collection include: George H. Wilson, manager of the Pittsburgh Orchestra; William N. Frew, president of the Pittsburgh Orchestra Committee from 1897-1900; Frederic Archer, Victor Herbert, and Emil Paur, conductors of the Pittsburgh Orchestra; orchestral musicians and visiting performers; and many more.
To access a fully detailed index of this collection, please call or visit the Music Department. (Index is in Music, Film and Audio documents folder.)
To access this collection, please visit or email the Music Department.
- George H. Wilson Collection – Pittsburgh Music Archive #54
- Pittsburgh Orchestra – Tour Programs and Miscellaneous Papers – Pittsburgh Music Archive #34
- Pittsburgh Orchestra Concert Programs