2021 Election Information Roundup

Election Day—Tuesday, November 2—is here. Are you ready to vote? Here is a roundup of all our election posts and FAQs to make sure you are informed and prepared!

Here to Help: How Pittsburghers Can Support Afghan Refugees

Pittsburgh is welcoming families and individuals who have fled the recent political upheaval in Afghanistan. Navigating a new country while still experiencing the trauma of a rapid and unsure departure can be overwhelming. The following information contains links to local, national and international resources.

VITAL Funding for Vital Resources

Supporting libraries comes naturally for John Gismondi and his family. “Growing up, our family’s home, where my 98-year-old mother still resides, was within walking distance to the Uniontown Public Library, and my siblings and I were regular users. Although neither of my parents were educated beyond high school, … Continued

What’s a Filibuster?

The filibuster has often been a polarizing tactic in the United States Senate, but do you know the origin of this 4-syllable word (Hint: its name comes from the Dutch word for “pirate”)? Check out our latest blog post to learn more about the record-setting uses of the filibuster throughout U.S. history, and why it’s such a controversial parliamentary procedure today.

Consider Making A Tribute Gift

For those of you with a library lover in your life – I bet gift giving has always been easy. Book, check! Gift card, check! Supporting the neighborhood library that … Continued

Not Alone: Mental Health Stories and Resources

The past year has put mental health in the spotlight. According to Mental Health America, in 2020, screenings for anxiety and depression increased by 93 and 62 percent respectively. Here are some mental health stories and resources to explore.

Pittsburgh Ready: Early Literacy, Community and Joy

From 2019-2021, five child care providers across the city of Pittsburgh teamed up with the Library and Quality Coaches from Trying Together to expand early literacy practices. PNC Grow Up Great funding made this collaboration possible. The results, in a nutshell, include joyous relationships, improved learning spaces and new perspectives for everyone involved.